Tuesday, January 19, 2016

top 10 (1/19/16)

top 10 things to watch at this current time (1/19/16)

1. Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories



A more cinematic step has been taken by the two comedy gods in their latest [adult swim] show, Bedtime Stories. Bedtime Stories still shows us glimpses into the comedic minds of Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, but this time there is an evil twist to it that more traditional fans of Tim & Eric might not stand behind. Bedtime Stories carries it's audience through a character's struggle through individual episodes that connect us with a new character, sometimes using big actors such as T&E regular Dr. Steve Brule aka John C. Reilly and Jason Schwartzman, as well as the same actor who got T&E on the path to stardom, Bob Odenkirk. If you've got the time, take a dip into the murk that is Bedtime Stories. Note: This show will be much more easily understood if you take time to learn who T&E are first. Please watch Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! first.

2. Fargo


Why someone didn't decide to reboot an open-ended Coen Brothers movie into a television show before this, I do not know. Fargo is similar to the original film which came out in 1996, but the two seasons take place in different time periods, bringing whole new characters and ideas to the table. While season one was good, season two blew me away. 1979 Minnesota accompanied by the stylistic choices as well as hidden Coen easter eggs in nearly every episode makes it hard to not enjoy visiting the wonderful world of Fargo. Can't wait for season three.

3. Requiem for a Dream


Requiem for a Dream is one that everyone knows, and some people avoid it because they know how hard it is to watch. I find it to be a beautifully shot, innovative film that follows the story of four people who all have to cope with their addictions. A beautiful story that uses very interesting "aronofsky shots" that is sure to move you.

 4. Birdman


Birdman is a classic. It's the movie that took home all the Oscars last year, and rightfully so. I was in New Orleans when this came out and I hadn't even really heard of it. I knew nothing about it other than the fact that it had a big cast. I decided to see it, and I sat in the theatre for 10 minutes after the credits just reevaluating my life. Birdman is that kind of movie. I was so amazed by everything about this movie. I went back home and had a Keaton marathon, but this is most definitely his masterpiece.

5. The Master


Another one of those movies for me is P.T. Anderson (my favorite director) 's The Master. A beautifully crafted story of a soldier coming back from WWII who has to learn to deal with the stresses caused during the war, and fails miserably. With two of film's greatest actors, and one of film's greatest directors, it's hard to go wrong.

 6. Death Proof


Death Proof is Tarantino's homage to "grindhouse" films of the 1970's, showing b-list actors doing incredible, real stunts in a gritty, ugly way. Some of the coolest driving stunts (and no CGI) I've ever seen come from this movie, and as always, it's a story of brutal revenge with plenty of gore along the way.

7. A Serious Man


The Coen Brothers' truly underrated gem, A Serious Man, takes us to 1967, somewhat of a spectacle into their upbringing. The story follows a Jewish family who seems to be falling apart (possibly due to a curse that their Yiddish speaking ancestors brought upon them) and the patriarch of the family's struggle.

8. The Royal Tenenbaums

The Royal Tenenbaums was the first Wes Anderson film I ever saw, and it holds a place deep in my heart. The beautiful sets that he chooses to shoot in such a play-like way seem to whisk viewers off to some sort of meadowy dream where everything is beautiful, and sad. And happy. This is a terrific film, don't let the air of white privilege scare you off.

9. Nathan for You


Brought to you by Abso-Lutely productions (a la Tim & Eric), Nathan for You takes Nathan Fielder, an awkward Canadian, to southern California where he helps struggling business owners come up with Nathan-ized ideas and present them in a quite hilarious frame. Nathan Fielder makes Michael Cera look like Fonzie.

10. A Clockwork Orange


A classic Kubrick masterpiece, Clockwork follows a gang of teenage boys in futuristic London who go around doing whatever they want. Retribution finds it's way back into the mix, and Alex eventually murders it.

12 comments:

  1. I came to love Jason Schwartzman as he frequents roles in Wes Anderson films (my favorite director by the way) so I definitely want to check out Bedtime Stories now. Royal Tenenbaums was also the first Wes Anderson film that I ever saw and what sparked my interest in his style of filming and storytelling. Nice list! I was very glad to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting list. I have been meaning to watch Clockwork Orange, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introduce so many interesting list for us. I will watch them later. I haven't hear about them before but I will watch them because I am very interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "fargo" is so good!! i actually wasn't crazy about the movie but absolutely love the show. haven't seen "requiem for a dream" but have been meaning to for a while. "birdman" is amazing. i considered putting "nathan for you" on my list because i've been watching my way through that lately and nothing else i've seen in so long has made me laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, and "a clockwork orange" is amazing. kubrick was an insane genius.

      Delete
  5. So many things I need to watch from this list. I have been meaning to start Fargo. I hope to start binge watching it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clockwork and Deathproof are both great movies! I also really loved the first season of Fargo, I haven't started the second season yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Requiem for a Dream is one of my favorite movies that no one has seemed to have seen. And it has the greatest score ever composed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely forgot to put Fargo on my list. Definitely one of my favorite tv series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see A Clockwork Orange on someone's list. Kubrick is an incredible director. I love the cinematography of Birdman. It also made my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fargo is a great show and I've actually never seen Birman so I will have to watch that.

    ReplyDelete